Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Jan 2021 09:27:23 GMT by HM Government Admin1
Good evening, I am desperately seeking advice on behalf of friends who operate a charity that rehomes abandoned dogs from Bulgaria to UK once a home has been identified for them. The DEFRA approved vehicle then returns to Bulgaria with bags of dried kibble and tinned dog food that has been donated to the charity by generous members of the public. The charity has been advised that to move pet food, a very complicated vet approved health certificate has to be completed. This is more complicated as the donated food is from various manufacturers. The certificate appears to focus on the manufacturing of the food rather than mere transportation. I have trawled the government websites for clarification in regards to when a certificate is required when we are not the manufacturer and the food is for our own animals. If the amount is a small amount - 500kg, does this have any impact? Any guidance greatly appreciated Stuart
Posted Tue, 12 Jan 2021 14:36:11 GMT by HM Government Admin1
Thank you for your post.
This guidance applies to businesses in Great Britain (GB) (England, Scotland and Wales) exporting or moving animal feed and pet food to, or through: the EU, non-EU countries, and Northern Ireland (NI).
You will need an export health certificate (EHC) to export animal feed and pet food made from animal products. Check the EHC finder to see if a certificate exists for your animal feed or pet food. If you find an EHC, follow the EHC process to export. If you cannot find an EHC, you’ll need to contact the competent authority in NI or the EU country you’re exporting to, in advance, to find out what paperwork you’ll need to fill in and rules you need to comply with. The competent authority means the equivalent of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs in the EU country you’re exporting to. If the competent authority says that you need an EHC, you’ll need to get their import conditions. Contact APHA who’ll arrange an EHC for you
You will also need to:
  • get your goods checked at an EU border control post (BCP) or NI point of entry in the first country you enter
  • make sure your EU or NI-based import agent has notified the BCP or NI point of entry that your consignment is arriving - check with the BCP or NI point of entry for how much notice needs to be given.
You can find further information on exporting animal feed or pet food here: Export or move animal feed or pet food - GOV.UK (

Please note that the information provided on is constantly being updated to support businesses with accurate and timely information; any link provided is accurate and up to date at the time of this response.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.