Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 28 Jan 2021 17:22:42 GMT by HM Government Admin1
Q.1 I had a question from another industry reference to labelling of bottle drinks for shipment to the EU. Can the company ship if they add an EU importer on the labels or do they need to have an office in an EU company ?
A. Updated answer
As of 1 January 2021, food and products from the UK and placed on the EU market will be required to have the address of the importer labelled (or provided in a document if the product is not packaged). The importer is the Food Business Operator (FBO) established in the EU, who places a product from a third country on the Union market. Pre-packaged food placed on the EU market must have an established EU Food Business Operator (FBO) address, or alternatively an address of the EU importer of the food on the packaging food label. A GB address alone will not be sufficient. To be "established", the FBO must have a physcial presence in the country by the way of a unit of food business. This unit of food business needs to be able to take responsibility for the goods and the presence and accuracy of the food information on the label presented to the consumer in the market in which the goods are place. If an importer's details are used as an alternative to an FBO address, this must be the name and EU address of the importer who imported the goods into the  EU market.
Posted Thu, 28 Jan 2021 17:25:17 GMT by HM Government Admin1
Q.2 Would there be an advertising campaign to explain the new VAT reform, customs clearance process and Duty charges for non originated goods any time soon?The public is raising the issue with the media, blaming FF and couriers or the EU but they need to understand the reason for these charges. A. HMRC already have an array of information posted on however they are planning a video on Rules of Origin in early February and will keep industry informed.
Posted Thu, 28 Jan 2021 17:28:13 GMT by HM Government Admin1
Q. 3 We are receiving a lot of questions from tool/equipment hire companies regarding the treatment of VAT in the country of hire, is there any guidance that you can point me to on this? A. If you are in the UK and the place of supply of your service is in the UK, you charge and account for VAT according to UK VAT rules. If you’re in the UK and the place of supply of your service is in an EU country, you do not pay UK VAT.But for some supplies, you may need to register and account for VAT in the country of supply. You must check with the tax authority in that country to find out how to treat the services you’re supplying. A list of EU VAT contacts can be found in Notice 725. If the place of supply of your service is not in the EU, you do not have to charge EU VAT but you should include the sale in box 6 on your VAT Return. Guidance is available here :
Posted Thu, 28 Jan 2021 17:28:35 GMT by HM Government Admin1
Q.4 Hello, I asked on Tuesday about Cairnryan turnbacks. I was given an indication, which was helpful, though the answer was that specific figures couldn’t be given due to commercial sensitivity. Are you able to tell me why this is?
A. At this time we are not publishing data which commercially sensitive to port operations. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.