Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: exporting to EU if not VAT registered

    I now have an EORI number. It took I think about three minutes to get from the HMRC website, using the same login that it is used to submit our annual corporate tax return. Now that we have an EORI number it will be interesting to see if it ever gets used. In the online letter that comes back it says that it is important to only ever disclose our EORI number to an agent who is filling in a customs declaration on our behalf. So currently if I walk down to the Post Office and post something to an EU country I fill in the CN22 myself; there is not agent filling in a customs declaration on my behalf, so no need for the EORI. Maybe one day I will need to use a different courier who will ask for it, but so far in four years this has never happened. Anyway getting the EORI number was super easy so it doesn't really matter if in never gets used.
  • exporting to EU if not VAT registered

    Hi. My company is not VAT registered and nowhere near the threshold. We buy our supplies and materials from UK based companies, assemble into a product and post worldwide straight to customers. Normally I just go to the post office, fill in the customs form and send it. Do I need an EORI number? Will it matter that I'm not VAT registered, or force me to become VAT registered? Will my customers in the EU have to start paying VAT in their country? The company is a tiny "cottage industry" type operation (effectively a hobby and is registered with Companies House as an LTD.